Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives- Cognitive domain

Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives- Cognitive domain
These objectives were developed by Benjamin Bloom, who chaired the committee of educators that devised the taxonomy. Bloom's taxonomy is a classification of educational objectives using a set of three hierarchical models, named cognitive, affective and sensory domains. 

The cognitive domain
It is mainly focused on the traditional way of education to structure the curriculum objectives, assessments, and activities. It has divided into six categories and they are:
  • Remembering
  • Comprehending
  • Applying
  • Analyzing
  • Synthesizing
  • Evaluating 
Remembering 
It involves recalling facts, terms or concepts with out an understanding what they mean.It represents the lowest level of learning outcomes in the cognitive domain. For example: learning of classifications or categories. Name the pairs of chromosomes. Majority of the students try to learn by heart and able to recall names without thinking or to memorize something, only for exams.

Verbs can be used to state the objectives are: define, state, list, name, outline, write, recall, recognize, label, underline, select, measure, describe, identify etc.
 
Comprehending
It involves understanding of facts by organizing, comparing, translating, interpreting and extrapolating it. Organization means a student can organize the ideas based on hierarchy or occurrence. The comparison means comparing similarities and differences of facts each other. Translation means communicating ideas in other words or languages without altering the meaning. Interpretation means ability to explain a fact in their own words without altering the meaning. Extrapolation means foreseeing or predicting the unknown events by understanding the known events. For example; Identify the differences between the chromosome and chromatin.
  
Verbs can be used to state the objectives are: identify, select, compare, translate, interpret, extrapolate, justify, organize, indicate, illustrate, represent, formulate, judge, classify etc.

Applying
Applying involves a student to solve daily problems in new situations with learned knowledge successfully. Learners are able to identify, relate prior knowledge and to apply in situations. It requires a higher level of understanding of facts and ideas to apply in an unexpected situation.
For example, a learner is able to give first aid in real life situation.

Verbs can be used to state the objectives are:  predict, select, assess, explain, choose, find, show, demonstrate, construct, compute, use, perform, discover, prepare, produce and relate.

Analyzing
This refers to examining and breaking information into parts, constructing relation to each other, making a generalization and finding evidences to support generalization. For example, an expert in nursing examined the concept of nursing care, broke into different parts, arranged in a synchronized manner such as assessment, goals, diagnosis, plan of action, rationale, implementation and evaluation, which helps the learners to give nursing care in an uniform manner.

Verbs can be used to state the objectives are: analyse, identify, conclude, differentiate, select, separate, compare, contrast, justify, resolve, distinguish etc.

Synthesizing
It includes the action of putting all related elements together and to form a 'whole'. It helps to formulate a new concepts or patterns.

Verbs can be used to state the objectives are:  combine, summarize, precise, conclude, compile, compose etc.

Evaluating
It involves presenting opinions by making judgment about the utility of work or quality of work based on a set of criteria. For example, which educational philosophy are best for curriculum implementation today?
 
 Verbs can be used to state the objectives are: evaluate, judge, compare, contrast etc..

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the superb work, I read few blog posts on this internet site and I think that your website is rattling interesting and holds circles of fantastic info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to ?return the favor?.I am attempting to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some
    of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not resist commenting. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its such as you read my mind! You seem to know a lot
    approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something.
    I feel that you just could do with a few p.c. to drive the message home a bit,
    but instead of that, this is great blog. A great read.

    I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?

    This paragraph posted at this web page is
    in fact fastidious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely
    think this amazing site needs much more attention. I'll probably be returning to see more,
    thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw great design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written much better! Looking through this post reminds me
    of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching
    about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he's going to have
    a great read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day very nice website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing
    .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally...I am satisfied to seek out so many helpful
    information right here in the submit, we want work out more
    strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I leave a response each time I especially enjoy a post on a site or I have something to add to the conversation. Usually it's
    a result of the sincerness communicated in the article I
    read. And after this article "Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives- Cognitive domain".
    I was moved enough to post a thought :-) I do have
    2 questions for you if it's okay. Could it be simply me or do
    some of these comments come across as if they are
    coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And,
    if you are writing at other places, I'd like to follow anything
    fresh you have to post. Could you make a list the complete urls of
    your social pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or
    twitter feed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, You've done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and in my view recommend
    to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to make a top notch article...

    but what can I say... I procrastinate a whole lot and don't
    manage to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's up it's me, I am also visiting this site daily,
    this site is in fact pleasant and the users are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wohh exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it for putting up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the
    message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog.

    An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know this website presents quality dependent posts and extra information, is there
    any other web site which gives these kinds of stuff in quality?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hardly comment, however i did some searching and wound up here "Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives- Cognitive domain".
    And I actually do have a couple of questions for
    you if you do not mind. Could it be just me or does it give the impression like some of these responses look
    like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And,
    if you are writing at other sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post.
    Would you list of every one of your community sites like
    your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    ReplyDelete